This crockpot pineapple salsa chicken is so easy to make. This recipe goes great over rice and with a side of steamed veggies.
This crockpot pineapple salsa chicken is one of my favorite recipes to make. It’s perfect for busy weeknights. I can toss everything in my crockpot in the morning and then by dinner time, it is ready to go.
I think most everyone has heard of crockpot salsa chicken and while it’s delicious, the pineapple in this recipe really takes the flavor up a level. You can serve over rice or shred and serve as tacos.
What ingredients are needed for this recipe?
This recipe is super simple, you’ll need:
- Chicken thighs: You can also use chicken breast, if desired but I find chicken thighs have more flavor and don’t dry out as much in the slow cooker.
- Canned pineapple (in juice, about 20 ounces): I used pineapple slices. You’ll want to use some but not all of the pineapple juice, about 4 ounces.
- Salsa: Use your favorite red salsa. I used a mild salsa since I was making this for my kids who aren’t a fan of spicy.
- Onion: You’ll need one small white onion for this recipe.
- Garlic: You’ll need two cloves of minced garlic.
- Salt and pepper: I recommend doing salt and pepper to taste, since the salt and pepper content of your salsa will vary.
What to serve with pineapple salsa chicken
I think this recipe goes great over white or brown rice. If you are watching your carbs, cauliflower rice is a good option. Steamed broccoli or other steamed veggies are also a good side with this pineapple salsa chicken. Another great option is to shred the chicken for tacos or burritos.
How to make this recipe
This recipe is so easy to make. It’s an easy toss and go recipe. You can easily prep for this recipe the night before by slicing your onion and mincing your garlic.
To make this recipe, begin by spraying your crockpot with non-stick spray. Next, slice your onion and add it to your crockpot. Add the chicken, salsa, garlic, and pineapple with about four ounces of pineapple juice. Add salt and pepper to taste when serving.
If you liked this crockpot recipe, you might also enjoy:
Crockpot Pineapple Salsa Chicken
- Crockpot or slow cooker
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs may also use chicken breast, if desired
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can pineapple rings in juice (about 20 ounces) reserve 4 ounces of the pineapple juice
- 1 small white onion sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spray your crockpot with non-stick spray.
- Add your sliced onion.
- Next, add your chicken thighs, pineapple rings, and about four ounces of pineapple juice.
- Add the garlic and salsa.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Serve over rice or shred and serve as tacos.
My daughter would love this. I like anything with pineapple in. The salsa adds great flavour too. Thank you.
This recipe reminded of me of Thanksgiving. I love crockpot recipes there is just something so comforting know you will have dinner or lunch ready when you get home.
Mihaela | https://theworldisanoyster.com/
I feel so hungry now!:)) This is an excellent idea for dinners, and hopefully, it works for other cooking methods than a slow cooker (just because I don’t have one).
What a great combination of flavors! I love the pineapple with salsa!
A recipe with a five minute prep time, plus pineapple and salsa!! This is what I’m making for dinner on a busy night this week! Thanks of sharing. 🙂
This would be a great recipe to try during the week. It is always nice to have supper ready and waiting on me after a long day at work.
Pineapples with chicken is such a great flavor combo! I love that this is in a slow cooker too for an easy dinner
we love anything with rice and pineapples! Im sure this will be a hit to serve.
This looks so delicious. I love chicken and fruits together. I have a crockpot and I need to make this.
Wow, I can’t believe how easy this is to make. Your photos are making my mouth water!! I will be making this again and again, the perfect weeknight meal!
This looks amazing! I love pineapple.