Crockpot chicken stroganoff is a fun spin on the classic stroganoff recipe. It is a family favorite as well as an easy toss and go crockpot recipe.
Crockpot chicken stroganoff is a delicious spin on the classic beef stroganoff dish. This is a super easy, toss and go recipe. It’s the perfect recipe for a busy weekday, just toss everything in the crockpot during the morning and then by dinnertime you’ll have a delicious meal waiting for you at home.
I’m a huge fan of toss and go crockpot recipes. I think this stroganoff recipe is especially fantastic on chilly days. It’s a great hearty meal that you can serve over egg noodles which makes it easy peasy. If you love easy crockpot recipes then be sure to also check out this Crockpot Chicken Bruschetta and Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos.
💭 Why you’ll love this recipe
This recipe is an easy toss and go crockpot recipe. It is a family friendly and uses just a few ingredients.
🍗 Ingredients needed
For this recipe, you’ll need:
- Chicken thighs: I’ve found that for crockpot cooking, chicken thighs tend to stay very juicy. They also have more flavor which goes great in this stroganoff recipe. You’ll want to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Only have chicken breast on hand? That’s OK, chicken breast also works in this recipe.
- Cream of chicken: The cream of chicken will give this crockpot recipe a nice creamy texture. You will need two cans.
- Fresh mushrooms: I used baby bella but almost any sliced mushrooms will work.
- Onion soup mix: You’ll need one envelope of dry onion soup mix.
- White onion: You’ll need one white onion.
- Salt and pepper: I usually recommend salt and pepper to taste in most of my recipes. Since canned cream of chicken has a bit of sodium you might want to consider going light on the salt.
- Egg noodles: For serving. I prefer to make the egg noodles separately. They are so quick to prepare that I think it’s worth not risking them getting too mushy by mixing them in towards the end.
🍲 What size crockpot do I need to make this recipe?
You will need a 4 quart or larger crockpot for this recipe.
🥣 How do I make this recipe?
Begin by spraying your crockpot with non-stick spray. Next, slice your onion and add it to your crockpot with the chicken. Wash and dry your mushrooms. Slice them (I bought pre-sliced), if necessary and add them to the mixture.
Next, add the cream of chicken soup, packet of dry onion soup mix, and salt and pepper. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Serve over egg noodles.
🍚 What should I serve with this recipe?
I prefer to serve this crockpot chicken stroganoff over egg noodles but you could also serve it with mashed potatoes, rice, or with crusty white bread.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe FAQs
Yes, you can put raw chicken in your slow cooker. Many slow cooker recipes call for raw chicken.
Do you have to brown chicken before putting in slow cooker?
There is no need to brown the chicken first.
There are many reasons why chicken becomes tough in the crockpot. There may have not been enough liquid or it may have been overcooked. Using too large of a crockpot will also dry out your chicken. You could also try using a different cut of meat. I find with crockpot cooking, chicken thighs hold their flavor and moisture better than other cuts of chicken.
Other Easy Crockpot Recipes:
If you tried this Crockpot Chicken Stroganoff or any other recipe on my site, please leave a ⭐ rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I would love to hear from you!
Crockpot Chicken Stroganoff
- Crockpot (slow cooker)
- 4-5 boneless and skinless chicken thighs (if using chicken breast, about 3 large chicken breasts will work)
- 1 medium white onion sliced
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup (about 10.5 ounces each)
- 1 package fresh mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- egg noodles (for serving)
- Begin by spraying your crockpot with non-stick spray.
- Next, slice your onion and add it to your crockpot with the chicken.
- Wash and dry your mushrooms. Slice them and then add them to the mixture.
- Next, add the cream of chicken soups, packet of dry onion soup mix, and salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Serve over egg noodles.
So delicious! My family loved it!
This was so delicious and filling!
This makes for such a hearty and delicious meal!
Great way to use up chicken soup!
Throwing dinner in the crockpot before work is the best, and this chicken stroganoff is my absolute favorite! Thanks so much for sharing it!
Yum, worth the wait, so delicious!
So much to love about this! What a great crockpot meal!!
The chicken thighs stay night and juice. The perfect addition to stroganoff!
I love all crock pot recipes so I can’t wait to give this one a try!
I’ve made beef stroganoff many times but never tried it with chicken. I love the slow cooker idea.
Oooh! I’m making a beef stroganoff tonight, I’ll have to try this one out next time I get the urge for stroganoff! Looks delicious.