Christmas appetizer recipes do not need to be extravagant, they just need to taste good! This Christmas Queso is a delicious dip to make for friends and family.
Here in Texas, we call cheese dip, queso which is Spanish for cheese. This Christmas queso is the perfect dip to make for Christmas parties and potlucks. You can make it on the stove top or in your slow cooker.
💭 Why you’ll love this recipe
This is an easy festive appetizer. You can quickly make it on the stove top or use your slow cooker to keep it warm for parties.
🧀 Ingredients needed
For this cheese dip, you will need:
- White American cheese: I used the store brand of my local grocery store (H-E-B). If you’re not having any luck finding it at your local grocery store, don’t forget to check with the deli counter. Sometimes the deli will carry it.
- Diced green chiles: About four ounces.
- Milk: I recommend using whole milk or 2% milk.
- Tomato and cilantro: To top the queso with and make it festive.
- Cumin, chili powder, and salt: The seasonings for the dip.
- Adjust the spice level. Try adding some pickled jalapeños.
🔪 Equipment needed
You will need a large pot (stove top) or you can make this dip in your slow cooker.
⏲️ Recipe instructions (step by step guide)
Begin by spraying a large pot with non-stick spray. Chop your cheese into cubes and add to the pot (image 1).
Add the spices, milk, and green chiles then heat on medium low heat (image 2). Stir frequently until the cheese is melted and everything is well combined (image 3).
Top with cilantro and diced tomatoes. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Heat on medium-low and stir frequently.
- If using your slow cooker, be sure to stir once it starts melting. Stir occasionally and then set to warm once everything is completely melted.
- You can add a little salt to taste, if needed.
🥡 How to store leftovers
Store any leftover dip in an airtight container in your fridge. It will be good for up to four days after making.
📋 Recipe FAQs
The word queso comes from chile con queso which is a Mexican recipe for cheese dip. Cheese dip is often called queso in Texas.
Queso is usually the combination of melted cheese, milk or half and half, and tomatoes with chiles.
🎄Other Christmas recipes:
If you tried this Christmas Queso or any other recipe on my site, please leave a ⭐ rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I would love to hear from you!
Christmas Queso (Christmas Cheese Dip)
- Large pot
- or slow cooker
- 16 ounces white American cheese *
- ¼ cup milk you can add more if you prefer a thinner queso
- 1 small can green chiles (drained) about 4 ounces
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- ½ Roma tomato diced
Stove Top Instructions
- Begin by spraying a large pot with non-stick spray.
- Chop your cheese into cubes and add to the pot.16 ounces white American cheese
- Add the spices, milk, and green chiles then heat on medium low heat.¼ cup milk, 1 small can green chiles (drained), 1 pinch cumin, 1 pinch chili powder
- Stir frequently until the cheese is melted and everything is well combined.
- Top with cilantro and diced tomatoes. Serve with tortilla chips.2 tablespoons cilantro, ½ Roma tomato
Slow Cooker/Crockpot Instructions
- Combine all of your ingredients in a small slow cooker. Cook on low for one hour. Be sure to stir frequently. You can set to warm once melted to keep warm for parties.