This Very Hungry Caterpillar activity with an egg carton is such a fun craft to do with toddlers or preschoolers. My kids had a blast painting and making their own caterpillar. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle is such a fantastic children’s book is a must have for you home library!
Disclaimer: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase or sign up for a service at no extra cost to you.
About this activity
My kids are huge fans of The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. It is definitely one of our go-to books for reading time. I always try to plan activities and crafts around what interests my kids and I also want to encourage them to love books as well. I have found that creating activities around what were reading is a great way to reinforce what they are learning through the book.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is a great book for toddlers and preschoolers because not only is it a fun read with beautiful and bright pictures but there are so many important concepts in the book. One thing I like about the book is that it mentions the days of the week. I also love that it talks about how caterpillars become butterflies!
Supplies needed for this Very Hungry Caterpillar Craft
For this craft you’ll need:
- Non-toxic washable paint in green
- Paint brushes
- Pipe cleaners
- Empty cardboard egg carton container
- Glue gun (for adults only)
- Kitchen shears or very sharp scissors (for adults only, of course)
- Newspaper (optional for avoiding painting messes)
Need to grab the book or some supplies for this Very Hungry Caterpillar craft? Grab them on Amazon!
How to do the craft
To do this craft, begin by cutting a cardboard egg carton. Trim off any excess cardboard from the egg side and trim into strips. Next, let your child paint their carton. After they dry, hot glue googly eyes and pipe cleaner antenna for your child.
Other fun ideas
We also watched this Very Hungry Caterpillar animated film. My kids LOVED watching the book as a video.
If you liked this Very Hungry Caterpillar activity and craft, you might also like:
- The Rainbow Fish Preschool Activity
- Ocean Activity for Toddlers & Preschoolers
- Learning About Feelings Activity & Craft
- Bird Activity with Bird Feeder Craft
- Ladybug Learning Activity
- Blue Boat Learning Activity
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Activity with Stickers