Who doesn’t love ice cream? Ice cream in a bag for kids is a great way to make your own ice cream. It is such a fun activity to do especially during the hot summer months!
Ice cream in a bag is such a fun science experiment for preschoolers. This activity includes both an activity and free shape tracing printable (if you’re looking for it, it’s towards the bottom) for a good combination of learning, experimenting, and ice cream.
Not only is this a fun science experiment but the ice cream tastes good too! Personally, I think it tastes kind of like soft serve. If you want more recipes that kids can help make be sure to also check out this cinnamon raisin bread in a bag and these honey peanut butter balls.
🍦 Why you’ll love this activity
This ice cream in a bag is the perfect summer activity to do with kids. It is a fun science experiment and super easy to set up. You can make it with heavy cream or canned coconut milk.
🥛 Ingredients needed
To make ice cream in a bag, you will need:
- Heavy cream: Also called whipping cream. You can also use canned coconut milk (be sure to use canned coconut milk and not the milk alternative type).
- Ice: To make the ice cream cold.
- Kosher salt: I’ve been asked a lot if you can substitute regular salt but unfortunately you will need kosher salt for this recipe. I do not recommend subbing regular salt or your ice cream will not turn out right.
- Vanilla extract: To give the ice cream a yummy flavor.
🧾 Equipment needed
- A quart sized zip lock bag
- A heavy duty freezer gallon zip lock bag
- Oven mitts (to keep hands warm while shaking the ice cream)
👩🏻🍳 How to make this recipe
In the smaller bag, add the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla.
Seal the bag and remove as much excess air as possible.
In the larger bag, add the kosher salt and ice. Add the smaller bag inside the larger bag.
Using oven mitts (to keep your hands warm), shake the bag for about 10 minutes.
Remove from the bag and serve with optional toppings if desired.
- Use oven mitts to keep little hands warm.
- Use high quality plastic storage bags, cheaper ones may leak.
📋 Recipe FAQs
Store any leftovers in your freezer just like regular ice cream.
No, the kosher salt helps reduce the temperature to make it ice cream.
Other fun kids activities:
If you tried this Ice Cream in a Bag or any other recipe on my site, please leave a ⭐ rating and let me know how it goes in the 📝 comments below. I would love to hear from you!
Ice Cream in a Bag for Kids
- Large gallon size ziplock bag
- Quart size ziplock bag
- Oven mitts (to keep hands warm)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups ice
- ⅓ cup kosher salt
- fresh fruit
- chocolate syrup
- caramel syrup
- In the smaller bag, add the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla.
- Seal the bag and remove as much excess air as possible.
- In the larger bag, add the kosher salt and ice. Put the smaller bag inside the large bag and seal.
- Using oven mitts (to keep your hands warm), shake the bag for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the bag and serve with optional toppings if desired.
- If needed, freeze for a few minutes before serving.