I have a confession. I’m a huge fan of Great American Cookies or you may know them as the cookies you get at the mall. I know most people know them by their famous cookie cakes (hello easy birthday party win!) but their regular cookies are amazing too. Almost every time I go to the mall I swing by the Great American Cookie stand and grab a few cookies to take with me, it’s a total guilty pleasure. This copycat Great American Cookies sugar cookie recipe is really similar to the original.
I love taking these sugar cookies to parties or baking them for Christmas cookie exchanges. They’re always a huge hit.
What makes these sugar cookies special?
Great American Cookies’ sugar cookies are hands down my favorite cookie. There’s something so special about their sugar cookies. They are chewy, soft, and have a little zest to them. That little extra special element about them is lemon extract! Its just a little zing that goes great with the overall flavor.
For this recipe, one egg is correct. I also recommend keeping a close eye on these while they bake. I baked mine for about ten minutes but since ovens vary, check your cookies. You don’t want to over bake these or they won’t taste soft and chewy like the originals. The original cookies have multicolored sprinkles but you can just one color and they will still have the same taste.
Copycat Great American Cookies Sugar Cookies
- ¾ cup butter slightly melted
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- colored sprinkles for decorating
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- Add in the wet ingredients and then mix well with a hand mixer for about three minutes.
- Roll the dough into small balls and space about two inches apart.
- Top with sprinkles.
- Bake cookies for ten minutes. They will be slightly golden but if you bake them too long they won't have the same soft texture as the original.
I hope you enjoyed this copycat recipe. If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook for even more cooking and recipe inspiration.
If you liked this copycat Great American Cookies sugar cookies recipe, then you might also like:
- Copycat Great American Cookies Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Strawberry Crunch Covered Strawberries
- Lorna Doone Banana Pudding
- Cookie Butter Rice Crispy Treats
- Easy Canned Biscuit Donuts