Who doesn’t love rice crispy treats? They are a classic dessert that are pretty much loved by everyone. If you are a rice crispy treat fan, why not up your rice crispy treat game with cookie butter? If you’ve never had cookie butter, it is truly a magical food. These cookie butter rice crispy treats are both fun and absolutely delicious.
Another reason why I LOVE these cookie butter rice crispy treats is that they are so easy to make. You only need four ingredients and there’s no baking involved. These cookie butter rice crispy treats are easy peasy and so versatile. I love making these for holiday treat boxes, birthday parties, tailgating, baby showers, Super Bowl parties, bake sales, and more! They are always a huge hit and I’ve never had any leftover.
Affiliate disclaimer: Please note that this post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase or sign up for a service. There is no additional cost to you.
Rice crispy treats or rice crispie treats?
Another thing is how to spell rice crispy treats! Some people say it is rice crispie treats or rice cereal treats. Whatever way, this cookie butter version is amazing.
Where to find cookie butter?
You can find it at Trader Joe’s but I’ve also seen some other grocery stores carrying it. You can also grab some on Amazon.
What ingredients do I need to make these cookie butter rice crispy treats?
I love making these rice crispy treats because you only need four ingredients. For this recipe, you’ll need:
- Butter (unsalted)
- Mini marshmallows
- Cookie butter
- Rice cereal
What type of pan to use for these rice crispy treats?
For this recipe you’ll need a 9 x 13 pan. I usually use a Pyrex pan but I’ve also used disposable aluminum pans when I’ve brought these delicious treats to parties or to tailgates. If you want perfectly square rice crispy treats, I LOVE to use the below brownie pan for making them. If you use these brownie pans, you’ll need two of them for this recipe. These brownie pans are also what I make my banana pudding brownies in.
Tips and tricks for perfect rice crispy treats
- Use the above brownie pan (also called a bar pan). Your treats will be perfectly square.
- Always use fresh marshmallows. Marshmallows have the tendency to become difficult to cook with once they are stale. If you have a bag of stale marshmallows, save them for s’mores instead of this recipe.
- Stir the butter, cookie butter, and marshmallows frequently on low. Stir, stir, and stir!
- If you want your treats to be extra chewy then add a few more marshmallows in.
- Gently press your cookie butter rice crispy treats into your pan. This will keep them from being flat and hard.
How to store these treats
Store these treats in an airtight container. They will be good for for 2 to 3 days. There is no need to refrigerate these and refrigerating these can actually make them hard. These do not freeze well.
Other fun ideas
Some other fun ideas for these treats would be to use peanut butter, sunflower butter, or pumpkin spice butter. You can also use different types of cereal. I also think the cookie butter goes really well with Cheerios.
How to make these cookie butter rice crispy treats
To make these cookie butter rice crispy treats, first gather your ingredients:
- 6 tablespoons of butter (unsalted)
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup of cookie butter
- 5 1/2 cups of rice cereal
Add the butter to a large pan and begin to heat it on low heat. While the butter heats, grease a 9 x 13 pan. Add the cookie butter and marshmallows to the butter on low heat while continually stirring to avoid burning the mixture. Stir the mixture until it is all evenly melted. The key to these cookie butter rice crispy treats is to stir, stir, and then stir some more. You’ll want to keep stirring the butter, marshmallows, and cookie butter mixture on low until it is completely melted and mixed together. You may be tempted to turn up the heat to make the process go faster, but don’t! The key is to keep stirring while it cooks on low.
Add the rice cereal to the mixture and then pour everything into the 9 x 13 pan. Use a spatula to spread the mixture out evenly and let cool for an hour before cutting into squares.
That’s it just. Next, just watch them all disappear!
Cookie Butter Rice Crispy Treats Recipe
- 9 x 13 pan
- 6 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 bag mini marshmallows (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup cookie butter
- 5 1/2 cups rice cereal
- Add the butter to a large pan and begin to heat it on low heat.
- While the butter heats, grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Add the cookie butter and marshmallows to the butter on low heat while continually stirring to avoid burning the mixture.
- Stir the mixture until it is all evenly melted.
- Add the rice cereal to the mixture and then pour everything into the 9 x 13 pan.
- Use a spatula to spread the mixture out evenly and let cool for an hour (two hours is usually best) before cutting into squares.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, if you need even more recipes be sure to check out the Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook!
If you liked this cookie butter rice crispy treat recipe, you might also like:
- Lorna Doone Banana Pudding
- Strawberry Crunch Covered Strawberries
- Snickers Apple Salad
- Oatmeal Whoopie Pies (Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies)
- Copycat Great American Cookies Chocolate Chip Cookies