I have a confession. I’m a huge fan of Great American Cookies or AKA mall cookies. I know most people know them by their famous cookie cakes but their regular cookies are amazing too. Almost every time I go to the mall I swing by the Great American Cookie stand and grab a few cookies to take with me, it’s a total guilty pleasure. This copycat recipe is like taking the mall food court home with you!
This copycat great American Cookies chocolate chip cookie recipe is really close! The cookies are thin, chewy, and deliciously buttery and sweet. They practically melt in your mouth. I always get a ton of compliments whenever I make these delicious chocolate chip cookies.
I don’t know about you, but I’m a thin and chewy chocolate chip cookie lover versus a cake-like cookie lover. If you also prefer a soft chewy cookie then you’ll love these.
These cookies are great to make friends or family, bake sales, or for Christmas cookie exchanges since they’re both delicious and easy to make.
For the recipe, it is correct to note that these cookies use only one egg. The recipe makes 12 cookies and I recommend baking them for 16 minutes but you may need to bake them as long as 20 depending on your oven.
To make this cookies, you’ll need:
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Chocolate chips
Tips for making this recipe
Leave room on your cookie sheet since these cookies will spread some. Adding M&Ms or nuts will cause the dough to spread too much so stick to just chocolate chips and skip those add ins for this recipe.
Copycat Great American Cookies Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted and cooled
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or as many as desired)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and then stir well with a large spoon.
- Add the vanilla and butter (make sure it has cooled or it will scramble the egg when added).
- Add the egg and then mix with a hand mixer for two minutes or until well mixed. Do not over mix.
- Add the chocolate chips in with a large spoon.
- Drop onto a greased baking sheet by the tablespoon. Note that the cookies will spread some so leave room.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. If you need even more recipes, be sure to check out our Take a Recipe and Leave a Recipe group on Facebook for even more cooking and recipe inspiration.
If you liked this copycat Great American Cookies chocolate chip cookie recipe, then you might also like:
- Copycat Great American Cookies Sugar Cookies
- Strawberry Crunch Covered Strawberries
- Lorna Doone Banana Pudding
- Cookie Butter Rice Crispy Treats
- Easy Canned Biscuit Donuts