These copycat Great American Cookies chocolate chip cookies are spot on for the originals!
I have a confession. I’m a huge fan of Great American Cookies or AKA mall cookies. I know most people know them by their famous cookie cakes but their regular cookies are amazing too. Almost every time I go to the mall I swing by the Great American Cookie stand and grab a few cookies to take with me, it’s a total guilty pleasure. This copycat recipe is like taking the mall food court home with you!
This copycat great American Cookies chocolate chip cookie recipe is really close! The cookies are thin, chewy, and deliciously buttery and sweet. They practically melt in your mouth. I always get a ton of compliments whenever I make these delicious chocolate chip cookies.
I don’t know about you, but I’m a thin and chewy chocolate chip cookie lover versus a cake-like cookie lover. If you also prefer a soft chewy cookie then you’ll love these.
These cookies are great to make friends or family, bake sales, or for Christmas cookie exchanges since they’re both delicious and easy to make.
To make this cookies, you’ll need:
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Chocolate chips
Tips for making this recipe
- For the recipe, it is correct that these cookies use only one egg.
- The recipe makes 12 cookies and I recommend baking them for 14 to 16 minutes but you may need to bake them as long as 18 depending on your oven.
- Be sure to follow the instructions for cooling the butter.
- Leave room on your cookie sheet since these cookies will spread some.
Other copycat recipes that you might like:
- Copycat Great American Cookies Sugar Cookies
- Copycat Bob Evans Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Copycat Subway Peanut Butter Cookies
- Copycat Otis Spunkmeyer Chocolate Chip Cookies
Copycat Great American Cookies Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled in the fridge (see note)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Melt your butter in the microwave and then let it sit in your fridge to cool down. I recommend letting it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and then stir well with a large spoon.
- Add the vanilla and butter (make sure it has cooled in the fridge or the cookies will turn out way too thin).
- Add the egg and then mix with a hand mixer for two minutes or until well mixed. Do not over mix.
- Add the chocolate chips in with a large spoon.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (about 1 ½ tablespoons), measure out your dough.
- Roll into balls that are tall and cylindrical shaped instead of round. As they bake they will turn into circles.
- Note that the cookies will spread some so leave room while placing your dough on the sheet.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown around the edges.