This Italian bow tie pasta salad is the perfect side dish. It is so easy to make and great for parties and potlucks!
This Italian bow tie pasta salad is great for a side dish, potlucks, or parties. Not only is this pasta salad versatile but it so easy to make. This pasta salad uses Italian dressing which gives it a zesty flavor.
The ingredients in this recipe are pretty flexible, so you can use what you like or what you have on hand. I love making this pasta salad with bow tie pasta since it is one of my daughter’s favorite types of pasta.
What ingredients do I need for this recipe?
To make this recipe, you will need:
- Red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper: I like using yellow, red, or orange bell peppers in this pasta salad as they’re sweeter and less bitter than green bell peppers.
- Italian dressing: Use your favorite brand. You can even use extra zesty Italian dressing, if desired.
- Hard salami and ham: You’ll need one standard salami and one cup of chopped ham.
- Colby jack cheese: You can buy cubes or cut a block into cubes.
- Pasta: You can use bowtie (also called farfalle) or other pasta varieties like rotini, macaroni, or penne also work well.
This recipe is very flexible, if you want to leave something out or add something (like pepperoni, tomatoes, cucumbers, cauliflower florets, etc.). You can also use macaroni, penne, or rotini noodles if you don’t have any bow tie pasta on hand. This also a great recipe to use up leftover ham from Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter.
What kind of pasta should I use in pasta salad?
I love using bow tie pasta (also called farfalle pasta) with this recipe but if you don’t have bow tie on hand you can also use rotini, penne, or macaroni noodles.
How long is this pasta salad good for?
This pasta salad is good for up to four days in your fridge. Be sure to store it in an airtight container.
How long should this recipe marinate for?
Let this bow tie pasta salad marinate for at least three hours before serving. If possible, marinate overnight for the best flavor.
Don’t forget these other side dish recipes:
Italian Bow Tie Pasta Salad
- 1 red bell pepper finely diced with the stems and seeds removed
- 1 yellow bell pepper finely diced with the stems and seeds removed
- 1 bottle Italian salad dressing about 16 ounces
- 1 cup hard salami (about one standard salami) cut into small chunks
- 1 block colby jack (about 8 ounces) cut into small chunks
- 1 cup ham cut into small chunks (or use pre-cubed)
- 1 pound bow tie pasta
- Begin by boiling the pasta and cooking it per the directions on the box.
- Run the pasta under cool water and drain.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir well.
- Let marinate for at least three hours before serving. If possible, marinate overnight for the best flavor.